We’re currently in the unenviable position of not knowing what’s going to happen on 31st October. However, the worst case scenario in terms of disruption to business would be a hard Brexit. Overnight, not only would our goods be embroiled in delays at newly established border posts, those delays would be made worse by shipments not having the right documentation.
We don’t have control over the Withdrawal Agreement, nor over traffic jams at borders but there are elements we can control: due diligence around what a hard Brexit will mean for our business and having the right paperwork in place for when our shipments (whether exports or imports) arrive at Customs posts, enabling them to pass through as quickly as possible.
Understandably, we would prefer not to spend time and money on plans that in the end may not be needed, however, even if a hard Brexit doesn’t transpire, by December 2020 some other trade deal will be in place that will still need mostly the same due diligence and paperwork. Why not end the uncertainly for your business and get it out of the way now?
The Chamber is offering a one-day, interactive workshop for business decision makers, aimed at clarifying the issues, uncovering areas of your business that may be impacted and discussing contingency plans available to you. At the end of the workshop, delegates will have a clear idea of which contingency plans to adopt for their own company, be they for a hard or soft Brexit – or indeed anything in between.
- EU – as we were, setting the context
- Possible Brexit models available to us
- Significance of the Withdrawal Agreement & Transition Period
- What would a Hard Brexit mean for your business?
- we consider 10 key issues
- World Trade Organisation rules explained
- What contingency plans should you be considering and when?
- The Irish question
- Impact on cash flow & overheads
- UK’s Withdrawal Agreement
- The proposal
- The Plan
- The Devil’s in the detail
- Beneficial Actions to take regardless of type of Brexit
NB: Barnsley business rate payers may be able to access a free place on this course (one delegate per course, per company) and should contact us before booking to clarify eligibility. Please note that spaces are limited, and will work on a first come, first serve basis